Woman paralyzed in a crash with a school bus is awarded $28.6 million

Paige Anderson has been quadriplegic ever since the 2009 crash.
Author:
Updated:
Original:

A northern Minnesota woman who was paralyzed in a crash has been awarded $28.6 million by a jury.

Fryberger, Buchanan, Smith & Frederick, P.A. – a law firm in Duluth – released a statement Thursday saying the Itasca County jury made the decision in favor of 23-year-old Paige Anderson following a seven-day trial last month.

“Awards this large are very rare in Greater Minnesota," said Anderson's attorney Stephanie Ball. "But this was a unique and heartbreaking case.”

According to WDIO, the driver of the car Anderson was in – another teen at the time – has been ordered to pay 90 percent of that. However, Ball told the station Anderson might not end up getting the full award because the driver simply might not ever have that much money.

The multimillion dollar award includes damages for past and future medical expenses; past and future pain, suffering, disability, disfigurement, emotional distress; as well as loss of earning capacity.

The crash

The crash happened 2009 when Anderson was 16 years old in Coleraine, Minnesota – that's in Itasca County.

The law firm says Anderson was a passenger in a car that was being driven by another teenager.

According to a 2009 article from the Duluth News Tribune, the 18-year-old driver pulled out in front of an Ely Public School District bus. The vehicles collided and the bus dragged the car about 100 feet. Another teenage passenger was killed in the crash, and Anderson has been quadriplegic ever since.

One person on the bus was slightly injured.

The Minnesota State Patrol reconstructed the crash and determined that both drivers involved were partially at fault – the bus driver had been speeding and the teen driver pulled out too soon.

The jury found the bus driver to be 10 percent at fault and the other driver to be 90 percent at fault.

Next Up

Facebook - semi crash july 30 2021 Hwy 212 - Chaska Police Department

'Large crash' involving semi-truck on Highway 212 in Chaska

Police are warning motorists about long delays.

Fairmont Raceway

Fairmont Raceway admits 'bad mistake,' announcer on leave after racist comments

The raceway promoter initially backed Len Oelke, but has now apologized.

Smoke and haze Minneapolis

Air quality still bad on Friday as wildfire smoke continues to blanket MN

The smoky haze will continue till at least Friday afternoon.

Pool

Maple Grove man defrauded PPP of $1.7M, used some to install pool

The 47-year-old pleaded guilty in federal court.

Ricky Rubio

Report: Timberwolves trade Ricky Rubio to Cleveland

Rubio's homecoming in Minnesota lasted just one season.

Tim Walz - YouTube - Screengrab

Gov. Walz: Newly-vaccinated Minnesotans will get $100

The incentive was announced shortly after President Biden announced the initiative.

Flickr - USPS post office mail truck - Paul Sableman

Man who attacked Oakdale postal worker gets 18 months in prison

He was accused of hopping over the counter and repeatedly punching the employee.

Wikimedia COmmons - Sierra store - Steve Morgan

Off-price retail store Sierra will open a St. Cloud location

It is the brand's first Minnesota store outside the Twin Cities.

Motzko and Schuneman

Driver in crash that killed Motzko, Schundeman released from custody

Authorities say he was driving during the crash that killed Sam Schuneman and Mack Motzko.

Dentist

Dental practice fired manager because she was too old, investigation finds

The business has agreed to a $54,000 settlement with the employee.

Ryan Suter

Suter says goodbye to Minnesota in Players Tribune piece

As Suter heads for Dallas, the Wild revamp their blue line.

vaccine, covid

Gov. Walz launches 'Vax to School' campaign ahead of new year

The state is encouraging students aged 12-17 to get vaccinated before school starts.

Related

Mpls. cop fired over pushing a woman will get his job back

There are some mixed feelings about his return.

Charges: Drunk driver fleeing police crashed into school bus

Five kids were hurt, but no injuries were serious.

Elementary students taken to the hospital after school bus crashes

One student was airlifted from the scene after being pinned in the bus.

Charges: Driver was going 80 mph before crash that killed two high school students

Authorities say she was going up to 82 mph in a 50 mph zone.

2 years after crash that killed MN brothers, family doubles reward for some answers

The family is searching for a truck driver who didn't stop after the crash.