Worker dies after 'explosion' at under-construction house in Lakeville

Author:
Publish date:

A construction worker has died in Lakeville following a "possible explosion" that led to a fire on Thursday.

The Pioneer Press reports the worker, who suffered burns in the fire at the under-construction home at 19343 Impala Ave., died on Friday.

He was said to have been checking heaters in the basement of the property at the time, and what followed were reports of a "possible explosion" and subsequent fire which remain under investigation.

The identity of the deceased has not been confirmed by officials, but the Star Tribune has identified him after speaking with his uncle, saying he is a 35-year-old man who was living in Inver Grove Heights with his fiancée and her daughter.

He is said to have worked multiple construction jobs for various employers. The house in Lakeville was being built by Lennar Corp., which said on Friday that it is investigating "the circumstances of this tragic accident."

According to FOX 9, propane heaters were running in the basement in preparation for a concrete pour. Something caught fire and the worker was severely burned.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is also investigating. It told the TV station it's the third workplace death in Lakeville since June, with the others involving a fatal trench collapse and an accident at a manufacturing plant.

Next Up

Related