Skip to main content

Xcel Energy was granted a rate hike – so how's it going to affect your bill?

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

Rates for Xcel Energy's 1.23 million electric customers in Minnesota are going up – but what changes those people may see on their monthly bill isn't clear yet.

The officials tasked with regulating energy companies in the state – a group called the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission – approved an electricity rate hike Thursday, a commission news release says.

The uptick isn't strictly for the future however. It actually covers both 2014 (which of course already happened) and 2015.

So how does that work, exactly? How can an energy company ask for a rate increase on bills they've already sent out?

The explanation

Xcel Energy, expecting a rate hike of some sort, began charging an interim rate increase of 4.57 percent in January of 2014.

The company asked the commission for a two-tiered increase: 6.9 percent in 2014, followed by a 3.5 percent jump in 2015. The overall result would have been a $291.2 million hike, totaling 10.4 percent.

Following that request, an administrative law judge – after looking at evidence and conducting some public hearings – put forth some recommendations based on the findings: 2.54 percent in 2014, followed by a 4.45 percent jump in 2015. The overall result would have been a $191.3 million hike, totaling 6.99 percent.

You'll notice that what the judge recommended and what Xcel asked for are fairly far apart.

So what will the final rate hike be? Well, the commission is still figuring that out. The "financial impact" of some recent decisions has to be weighed, and when that's done, they'll specify a final increase.

Now, if that increase is less than the 4.57 percent interim rate hike Xcel has been charging, customers could see a refund.

The Star Tribune reports customers could get a "slight" refund – but expect it to get negated by the rate hike that will go into effect later this year.

An increased service charge?

The commission weighed in on one other bill-affecting proposals Thursday.

Xcel Energy asked if it could increase the monthly service charge residential and small business customers pay – that's a monthly charge that's on the bill, regardless of how much electricity is used.

The commission rejected that request.

Next Up

Mats Zuccarello

Zuccarello scores twice, Wild win third straight

A team effort helped Minnesota dispatch the Ducks.

Rep. Tou Xiong

State lawmaker Tou Xiong apologizes after driving under the influence

The state representative was pulled over on the night of Jan. 8.

St Lukes Duluth GSV Pro

Duluth hospital requiring visitors to show vax proof, neg. test

The health care system is also tightening visitor guidelines.

ridgeview urgent care facebook

Ridgeview halting urgent care at a Twin Cities site 'until further notice'

The organization cited "growing emergency medical needs" at the facility.

polley freeborn county jail roster jan 2022 resize

Charges: MN high school counselor sexually assaulted student

The 16-year-old victim had regularly gone to him for academic help and other support, authorities say.

Proctor football

Proctor investigation: Senior charged with sexually assaulting teammate

The criminal charges come after a monthslong review of the allegations.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 9.07.41 PM

Ordway will require vaccinated audience members also be boosted

If someone has not gotten a booster shot, they will have to show a negative COVID test.

Gophers basketball, Williams Arena, Gopher fans

U of M to require vaccine or negative test proof for large events

The policy doesn't go into effect until late-January.

Lauri Anne Deatherage

Man indicted for first-degree murder in ex-wife's death

He's accused of killing her days after she remarried.

Jackknifed semi I-94 Sauk Centre Jesse Grabow

Crashes, spinouts piling up as snow blankets southern MN

Snow is expected to continue throughout the day.

Related

Great River Energy rate hike expected

Customers of Great River Energy will soon pay more for their electricity. The Associated Press reports that the company’s Board of Directors approved an average 4 percent increase for its 28 local power cooperatives. A typical residential customer can expect to pay an additional $2 to $3 a month.