Yes, Donald Trump's name will be on the ballot, MN Supreme Court orders

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Presidential candidate Donald Trump and his running mate Mike Pence will be on the ballot in Minnesota, even after the state's DFL party argued their names should be removed.

Just last week, Minnesota DFL Chair Ken Martin filed a petition to the Minnesota Supreme Court arguing the Minnesota Republican Party made “clear errors” during the nomination process. And because of those errors, Trump and Pence shouldn't be on the ballot.

On Monday, the state's Supreme Court basically said no – and dismissed the DFL's petition succinctly. You can read the six-page order here.

Why the decision?

Martin and the DFL's argument had to do with choosing and submitting names.

Minnesota law requires that political parties – during their state conventions, which were held in May and June this year – select:

  • candidates for president and vice president
  • 10 presidential electors
  • and 10 alternate presidential electors

Those names then must be submitted to the Minnesota Secretary of State by a certain deadline (this year it was Aug. 29).

But the DFL’s petition argued the Republicans violated state law by failing to select alternate presidential electors at their convention in May, instead selecting alternate electors in a closed-door meeting.

Interestingly enough, the Supreme Court's order didn't really address this as the reason for dismissing the petition.

Instead, the order says Martin waited way too long to file the petition (a term apparently called "laches"). Martin had argued he didn't realize the Republicans' mistake until Aug. 25, and after that needed time to do the proper legal research.

But the order says they can't agree that a two-week delay in filing the petition was "reasonable."

Complicating matters further: Early voting in Minnesota starts Sept. 23, and about 1 million ballots have already been printed. So a decision had to be made soon, and the consequences of the decision taken into account.

Reaction from the DFL, Republicans

Martin, in a statement Monday, said they're "disappointed," but also understand the "tight timeline issues addressed by the court."

"Despite very clear statutory guidance and frequent communication from the Minnesota Secretary of State’s office, the Republicans failed to properly follow the law ... " Martin said. "It should not have been a surprise to either Donald Trump’s campaign nor the Minnesota Republican Party the steps they needed to take to ensure ballot access."

Read Martin's full statement here.

Minnesota Republican Chair Keith Downey meanwhile said he's pleased with what he called a "blatant Democrat attempt to rig the Minnesota election" in the DFL's favor.

"Our legally filed ballot of Donald Trump and Mike Pence and our electors and alternate electors were properly certified by the Secretary of State," he said.

Read Downey and the GOP's full statement here.

Next Up

snow, plow

Snowy Saturday: Here's how much snow is forecast in Minnesota

Snow will reach the metro area by the early afternoon.

Cam Talbot

Wild improve to 4-1 with victory over Dubnyk, Sharks

The 4-1 win gives the Wild four victories in five games to start the season.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 9.08.16 PM

Daughter of MN Supreme Court Justice, Allina Health CEO found dead in Iowa

The 21-year-old was found dead in the parking lot of a sorority, according to police.

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 8.42.40 PM

Federal charges: MN marijuana lobbyist threatened U.S. representative

"I want you to be as scared as possible," the voicemail allegedly says.

coronavirus, masks, covid-19

Wisconsin Republicans aim to end governor's mask mandate

They've introduced a resolution to remove the governor's emergency powers.

Ted Schweich

Community group hopes to install billboard to get neighbor a kidney

A group called "Team Ted" aims to raise $5,000 to find their friend a kidney donor.

Andrew Palmer

Charges: Coach raped teenage girl on Minnesota basketball team

The 33-year-old head coach has been charged in connection to the alleged crimes.

radio station, microphone

WCCO Radio's program director leaves the company

It's not clear why John Hanson and the station parted ways.

Minneapolis skyline

Minneapolis a step closer to banning facial recognition technology

There are concerns about it leading to a surveillance state, and that it could harm disadvantaged communities.

Related

Yes, Donald Trump's name will be on the ballot, MN Supreme Court orders

Minnesota DFL Chair Ken Martin filed a petition to the Minnesota Supreme Court arguing the Minnesota Republican Party made “clear errors” during the nomination process.