Young people (especially men) are responsible for a lot of impaired driving in MN


Young people, most of them young men, are responsible for more than half of the impaired driving violations in Minnesota last year.

The 2015 Minnesota Impaired Driving Facts report (from the Department of Public Safety) was released Thursday. It takes a detailed look at violations, crashes, deaths and other incidents on Minnesota's roads involving an impaired person (generally alcohol or drugs).

We'll get into some of the specifics about who's responsible below, but there's one number you should keep in mind: 25,027.

That's the total number of impaired driving incidents during 2015 (which is a drop from the year before).

Why should you care? Impaired driving kills people.

Last year, 411 people died in crashes on Minnesota roads, and of those, 137 involved any amount of alcohol (and that could be the driver of the car involved, or even a pedestrian who had been drinking and was struck and killed).

There were 95 fatalities in cases where the driver was over the legal alcohol limit (that's above 0.08).

Another 2,203 people had serious injuries from an alcohol-related crash.

Here's a look at some of the more interesting findings:

Do better, young people

This embed is invalid

People ages 20 to 34 years old accounted for more than half of all impaired driving incidents in 2015.

So of the 25,027 total incidents, 13,342 of the culprits (that's 53 percent) were in that age group.

Note that if you're under 21, driving with any alcohol in your system – not just above the legal limit of 0.08 – is considered a violation.

It's usually men

Most of the people getting in trouble for impaired driving are men.

There are 2,237 incidents where the gender of the driver isn't known, so we'll exclude those. So of the 22,790 incidents where we now the person's gender, 16,422 were male and 6,368 were female.

Essentially, 7 out of every 10 people who got violations were men.

Nights and weekends are bad times

This is not super surprising, but nights and weekends are most commonly associated with impaired driving.

About half of all of 2015's violations came on Saturday or Sunday.

And that trend continued for when people were killed in drunken driving crashes. The report says 45 percent of all drunken driving fatalities came on a Saturday or Sunday. Thursday was actually third, with 14 percent.

The report actually breaks down fatal drunken driving crashes by hour – most happened at night, logically. But from 9 a.m. to noon, there was not a single death due to drunken driving.

Just over half happened in the Twin Cities

About 3 million people live in the seven-county Twin Cities metro area. That's just over 55 percent of the 5.4 million people total who live in the state.

The impaired driving numbers actually kind of reflect that.

51.8 percent of all impaired driving incidents came in those Twin Cities counties (Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott Washington). While the remaining 48.2 percent came in Greater Minnesota.

Not a single county had zero impaired driving incidents last year. The lowest figure was Treverse County with seven (which is also one of the least-populated counties).

Next Up

Ian Cole

Wild trade Greg Pateryn to Avalanche for Ian Cole

Cole won a pair of Stanley Cups in Pittsburgh and is a former first-round pick.


St. Croix County GOP chair resigns after incendiary post on official website

John Kraft sparked controversy with his 'Prepare for War' post on the party website earlier this month.

ann kim

Ann Kim's new restaurant, Sooki & Mimi, to open in February

The James Beard Award winner is the brains behind Young Joni, Pizzeria Lola, and Hello Pizza.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 1.32.19 PM

Firefighters rescue worker after trench fall in Rochester

The construction worker fell about 15 feet.

gray wolf

Grand Marais mayor's dog survives attack by wolves

He heard his 65-pound dog "screaming bloody murder" and then saw the wolves chasing her.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 12.04.55 PM

Minnesota's COVID vaccine appointment site goes live

Huge demand was expected when the site went live at noon.

emily ford

Duluth woman is hiking 1,000-plus miles on the Ice Age Trail this winter

She could be the second person ever to finish a winter-thru hike of the Wisconsin trail.

coronavirus, covid-19, icu

Here is Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Tuesday, January 19

Two days in a row with fewer than 1,000 new cases.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 10.52.12 AM

After fire destroyed their house, couple forced to euthanize beloved dog

The couple's daughter has launched a fundraiser for her parents.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 10.16.14 AM

Investigation after teacher accused of lewd act during distance learning

No charges have been filed yet and the staff member has not been identified.