You can count on one hand how many key Vikings are locked under contract for 2017: Sam Bradford, Stefon Diggs, Kyle Rudolph, Alex Boone and Jerick McKinnon. That's only if the Vikings believe McKinnon is the answer and they don't bring back Adrian Peterson. And you can read more about upgrading the offensive line right here.
But wide receiver should be of major concern this offseason. Other than Diggs, the Vikings are void of any sure things. Laquon Treadwell had a rookie season to forget, Adam Thielen is a restricted agent, Cordarrelle Patterson is an unrestricted free agent and nobody else on the roster moves the needle.
Thielen re-signing would be nice, but adding one of the top two free agent receivers would give the Vikings a formidable set of weapons for Bradford.
- Alshon Jeffery: 52 catches, 821 yards, 2 TD this season
- Terrelle Pryor: 77 catches, 1,007 yards, 4 TD this season
Jeffery is 26 and would meet the big-play need the Vikings desire. Spotrac estimates that a fair market value contract for Jeffery will be around five years for $70 million. The only real concerns with Jeffery are his health – he played in only 12 games this season and nine in 2015 – and his mind. Let's be honest: He must be a bit off his rocker to think the Bears are going to win the Super Bowl next season.
Pryor might be a one-hit wonder after a breakout season with the Browns, but as Dan Labbe of Cleveland.com wrote, "you can't just find size like that combined with his ability floating around out there."
Pryor is 6-foot-4 and a major threat in the red zone. He is a year older than Jeffery but he would likely come quite a bit cheaper. Spotrac estimates Pryor's market value to be in the neighborhood of four years and $42 million.
The list of other free agent receivers isn't very enticing.
Bradford completed an NFL record 71.6 percent of his passes for 20 touchdowns and just 5 interceptions this season. Imagine what he could do with an improved offensive line and a running game.
Vikings offseason contract situations on offense
- Under contract: Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater, Taylor Heinecke
- Free agent: Shaun Hill
- Under contract: Stefon Diggs, Jarius Wright, Laquon Treadwell, Isaac Fruecthe
- Restricted free agent: Adam Thielen, Charles Johnson
- Free agent: Cordarrelle Patterson
- Under contract: Jerick McKinnon
- Team option: Adrian Peterson ($18 million)
- Free agent: Matt Asiata, C.J. Hamm
- Under contract: Kyle Rudolph, David Morgan
- Free agent: Rhett Ellison
- Under contract: T.J. Clemmings
- Free agent: Matt Kalil, Jake Long, Andre Smith, Rashod Hill, Willie Beavers
- Under contract: Alex Boone, Brandon Fusco
- Restricted free agent: Jeremiah Sirles
- Free agent: Mike Harris, Jeremiah Sirles
- Under contract: Joe Berger, Nick Easton
- Free agent: Zac Kerin