Update: Faulty ice resurfacer cause of carbon monoxide illness at Wisconsin rink

Author:
Updated:
Original:

A propane-fueled ice resurfacing machine has been pinpointed as the cause of carbon monoxide that sickened dozens of players and spectators at an ice rink in the Wisconsin Dells area over the weekend.

“It wasn’t fully combusting the propane,” said Fire Chief Darren Jorgenson, according to the Star Tribune, adding that the ventilation system in the rink was not clearing out the bad air.

At least 81 people, including 21 Rochester Ice Hawks players, were treated for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning after a hockey game at the Poppy Waterman Ice Rink in Lake Delton, Wisconsin.

Several players reported having headaches, dizziness and nausea after the junior league game between the Dells Ducks and the Ice Hawks, according to Madison.com. Several players vomited and one person reportedly fainted.

Paramedics were called to the scene and took players to area hospitals. The Lake Delton Fire Department responded to the arena and found high levels of carbon monoxide, reports say.

Many spectators had left the rink before the leak was discovered, so law enforcement officials and team officials contacted them, urging them to get medical treatment, the Rochester Post Bulletin says. Those with flu-like symptoms were transported to the hospital, FOX 6 reports.

According to a post in the Ice Hawks Facebook group, most of the players were discharged from the hospital by early Sunday morning and one Ducks player was airlifted to a Milwaukee-area hospital for further treatment.

The Minnesota Junior Hockey League said on its website that one Ducks player remains in the hospital. He's receiving oxygen therapy in a hyperbaric chamber.

Doctors told at least one Ice Hawks player to seek further treatment at the Mayo Clinic, the Rochester Post Bulletin says.

The rink canceled all activities for Sunday and Monday, including the Ice Hawks game that was scheduled for 1 p.m. Sunday.

The machine suspected to be the cause will be inspected Monday, as will the rink's other resurfacer, according to the Star Tribune. Both machines were inspected within the past few months and passed, Jorgenson said.

The rink is not required to have a carbon monoxide detector in the building, he said.

The Star Tribune says carbon monoxide emissions have been a concern at hockey rinks for years, with many blaming ice-resurfacing equipment. The newspaper notes several instances where hockey players have fallen ill due to carbon monoxide poisoning, including a few weeks ago Ottawa, which sent 16 players to the hospital.

Next Up

ambulance

State Patrol investigating fatal crash near Duluth

The crash was reported around 6:15 a.m. Wednesday.

eden prairie police squad car

Carjacking reported outside shopping center in Eden Prairie

One of the suspects reportedly displayed a weapon.

court gavel

8 people charged in Medicaid fraud scheme totaling $860K

Collectively, they're charged with 46 counts of felony theft.

vaping

Minnesota gets mixed grades on its tobacco report card

In Minnesota, the economic cost due to smoking is $2.519 million with 5,910 deaths per year attributed to smoking.

Hardy Wills-Traxler

Charges: Man stabbed his father, set his home on fire

The 25-year-old has been charged with second-degree murder and first-degree arson.

Impound lot

Crowded impound lot raises COVID concerns after Minneapolis snow emergency

A vehicle owner complains about the tightly-packed impound lot following the weekend's snow.

covid-19, coronavirus

Here is Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Wednesday, Jan. 27

The latest update from the state health department.

charley's

Charges: Bar owner, employee served underage drinkers during shutdown

The bar hosted 20-30 people on Dec. 4, 2020, charges say.

police lights

Driver wearing bulletproof vest strikes pedestrian in Rochester

The 21-year-old claimed the vest keeps him warm, according to police.

Related

High carbon monoxide levels shuts down Duluth ice arena

Fire officials in Duluth are investigating to find out what led to "dangerously high" carbon monoxide levels at Duluth ice arena Wednesday night. About 30 people were evacuated from Fryberger Arena and eight people had elevated levels of carbon monoxide. One person was hospitalized.