A felony domestic assault charge against former Minnesota Timberwolves forward Dante Cunningham was dropped Monday. Cunningham now, his agent says, plans to file a civil lawsuit against his accuser.
"Dante Cunningham is innocent," Cunningham's agent Joel Bell told The Associated Press, according to FOX Sports North. "He plans to bring civil charges against her not only to clear his name but to show people it's wrong to abuse an already overworked legal system.
Bell added that Cunningham is "outraged that the taxpayers of Hennepin County had to pay for countless hours of attorney and police time because somebody made a false claim for their own personal interest."
Cunningham was charged in April after his then-girlfriend accused him of choking her.
The 6-foot-8 power forward's public image took a hit. Fans at Target Center booed him while he sat on the bench.
"I just hated the fact of getting booed," Cunningham said. "I just hated my fans not knowing the truth.
Cunningham became a free agent on July 1, but teams have been reluctant to sign him because of his pending legal status, according to 1500ESPN.com. He said waiting to find out who he'll play for next has been "nerve-racking."
Earlier this week KSTP reported that Cunningham hopes to re-sign with the Timberwolves.
He averaged 6.3 points and 4.1 rebounds per game last season.