The WNBA announced some major changes to its regular season and postseason formats beginning this coming summer season.
Here's the quick summary of what's changing. If you want a more in-depth story, check out the league's release right here.
- Each team will play the other 11 teams in the league three times
- The 34th game of the season will be a conference opponent
- Top 8 teams in the league make the playoffs (top 4 in each conference previously made it)
- Top 2 teams get a bye into the semifinals
- Single elimination for the first two rounds of the playoffs
- Semifinals and WNBA Finals are best-of-five series'
The Minnesota Lynx are the reigning WNBA champs. The Lynx tip off the upcoming season May 14 against the Phoenix Mercury.