Section final hockey week is nearly over and if you've missed any of the action so far you've missed out on some of the best hockey the State of Hockey has to offer.
Thursday's slate of games featured a bevy of fantastic finishes and upsets. Check out game recaps for every contest at MN Hockey Hub. Here's the short version of what happened, with each winner claiming a spot in the State Tournament.
- Section 1: New Prague 3, Mankato West 2
- Section 2: Orono 2, Breck 1
- Section 3: Luverne 6, New Ulm 1
- Section 5: Chisago Lakes 5, Princeton 4
- Section 6: St. Cloud Cathedral 2, Alexandria 1
- Section 8: East Grand Forks 3, Warroad 2 (2 OT)
Earlier this week, Hermantown crushed Duluth Marshall by a score of 6-2 to advance out of Section 7.
- Section 1: Lakeville North 6, Farmington 0
- Section 3: Eagan 4, St. Thomas Academy 2
- Section 7: Duluth East 3, Elk River/Zimmerman 2 (OT)
On Wednesday, Roseau, Edina and Eden Prairie won section finals to reach the state tourney. Eden Prairie scored a shorthanded goal in double-overtime to escape a hard-fought game against Benilde-St. Margaret's.
Three more teams will claim tickets to the tourney tonight.
Mahtomedi and Totino-Grace meet at 7:30 p.m. at Aldrich Arena for the Class 1A, Section 4 crown. In 2A, a couple of great rivalries will put an end to hockey at the legendary Lee and Rose Warner Coliseum at the State Fairgrounds. Blaine will battle Centennial at 6 p.m. for the Section 5 title and Hill-Murray meets Stillwater at 8:30 p.m. for the right to represent Section 4.
Star Tribune prep writer David LaVaque recalls his five favorite memories at the Coliseum.
Ice will no longer be made at the Coliseum, thus bringing an end to its hockey-rich tradition.
The state tournament brackets will be set on Saturday morning. Check back tomorrow for updates.