We know there's a lot more going on in the sports world than this list, but that's why they call it March madness:
1) A big test tonight for the Timberwolves as they take on the Los Angeles Lakers at Target Center. The Wolves have won three straight to climb into the NBA playoff picture...buthaven't defeated the Lakers in five seasons.
2) Tubby Smith's Gophers extended their season by at least another day with an overtime upset win over Northwestern yesterday to open the Big 10 tournament. The club promises to "play their hearts out" today against 10th-ranked Michigan.
3) The WCHA playoffs begin tonight as the top-seeded Gophers host Alaska-Anchorage. In Duluth, the Bulldogs take on Mankato; St. Cloud State hosts Nebraska-Omaha and Bemidji State is at North Dakota.
4) A gritty win in the desert last night for the Minnesota Wild. Dany Heatley's goal in the fifth shootout round was the difference as the Wild beat Phoenix, 3-2. As a result, Minnesota snaps a five-game losing streak.
5) High school hockey doesn't get much better than the Class AA quarterfinal last night between Edina and Benilde-St. Margaret's. Tied 2-2 with 24 seconds to go in regulation, Christian Horn scored to give the Red Knights an upset victory. It was an emotional win for the tournament's sentimental favorite.