Smell that? It's the sweet smell of victory, Twins-style, as the local nine avoided going 0-5 for the first time in club history. But it's bittersweet, as the Baker will tell you.
1) Twins win! In the 6-5 victory over Anaheim, Josh Willingham, not only hit another homer -- a moon shot to give the Twins a 3-1 lead -- but he had one go over his head in left field, which allowed the Angels' Peter Bourjos to circle the bases for an inside-the-park home run. In short: Win 1 wasn't boring.
2) Before the game, the Twins were slapped with the grim news that starter Scott Baker will miss the rest of the season after having surgery on his shoulder. That just might end his career in Minnesota.
3) Kevin Love joined the Timberwolves' injury parade last night in Denver. He suffered a concussion and a neck strain in the Wolves' 113-107 loss to Denver, and had to be hospitalized overnight.
4) One thing about the Timberwolves this year. They just can't lose to the Los Angeles Clippers. The Wolves host Blake Griffin and company tonight at Target Center -- looking to sweep the season series, 4-zip.
5) Did we mention that Josh Willingham's nickname is the "Hammer" in the Twins' clubhouse? Makes sense to us. And it sounds a lot better than "Joshy." But in our hearts, there's only one Hammer, and it ain't Hank Aaron:
Fill out my online form.