It's only March 13, but we might have a "quote of the year" candidate from a former Viking. That story, plus four more sports tales we are keeping an eye on today:
1) Randy Moss, who signed with the San Francisco 49ers for the 2012 season, told NBC.com: "I've gotten a bad rap."File that under the "you can't make it up fast enough" category.
2) A huge step in the right direction for the Timberwolves last night.In an attempt to shake off the Ricky Rubio blues, the Wolves scored a season-high 127 points to outlast the Suns last night in Phoenix, 127-124. Kevin Love led the way with 30 points, 13 of those in fourth quarter.
3) At 3 p.m. Central Time, NFL teams are eligible to sign free agents. The Vikings are $23 million under the salary cap, so they can be spenders. The Star Tribune has a suggested shopping list, just is case GM Rick Spielman wants to go on a spree.
4) A tip of the moustache to Twins starter Carl Pavano. He allowed one run in four innings yesterday as Minnesota tipped Tampa Bay, 4-3 in 10 innings in spring training play.
5) Why wasn't Jack Jablonski on the ice Saturday night after Benilde-St. Margarets won the Class 2A hockey title? The state high school league explains it was because Jablonski wasn't part of the official roster. But he'll still get a championship medal because schools can ask for additional hardware for certain players. Jablonski fits that bill.