Happy Wednesday! It's not only the first full day of spring, but a huge day for hoops as the Gophers and Wolves try to stay relevant. It's also Day 1 of the boys' state basketball tourney. That's the headline, here are the links:
1) Start spreadin' the news. If the Gophers can get past Middle Tennessee tonight, they're headed to Madison Square Garden for the NIT Final Four. Tip off is at 6 p.m. on ESPN2.
2) Four down, one to go. The final prep tournament gets under way this morning at Target Center and Williams Arena as the best boys' basketball teams play for titles in four classes. KFAN/BMTN's "Tiny" Joe Nelson has a preview of the event right here.
3) One team headed to the tourney is Detroit Lakes, in Class 2A. It's their second appearance in the big show. The last time they were there was a mere 94 years ago. The Lakers tip off against DeLaSalle at Williams Arena at 2 p.m. today.
4) Five down, two to go. The Timberwolves are in San Antonio tonight for game six of their two-week, seven game road trip. Although the Wolves have two wins this year against the Spurs, San Antonio is 29-14, and in second place in the Western Conference. Tough task.
5) In Florida, perhaps the biggest game of the Grapefruit League schedule for the Twins as they scrimmage with Detroit. The Tigers -- the heavy favorite to win the A.L Central this year -- have a gaudy 13-2 record in March.