A pair of Minnesotans were drafted during the second day of the Major League Baseball Draft.
The Pioneer Press notes that Maple Grove native Roman Collins was taken in the fifth round by the Kansas City Royals and Hugo's Travis Neubeck went in the seventh round to the Miami Marlins.
Collins played outfield at Florida Atlantic University this past season.
The school notes that he drove in a Conference USA-best 59 runs and led the league with five triples. Collins also finished with 7 home runs and totaled 25 extra-base hits while starting all 61 games for the Owls.
The highlight of Collins' season came March 18, when the outfielder finished a game against Bethune-Cookman with seven RBIs.
Neubeck, a pitcher and catcher at Indian Hills Community College in Ottumwa, Iowa, was one of three Falcons named All-Region. He was 7-2 with a 3.04 ERA and struck out 69 in 71 innings. During his last outing, Neubeck fired a five-hit shutout against Marshalltown in the Region 11 tournament, while striking out nine.
Twins select eight on Day 2 of the draft
The Twins were busy on the second day of the draft too, selecting eight players.
- 3rd round, 80th overall – Travis Blankenhorn, 3B, Pottsville Area HS (PA)
- 4th round, 110th overall – Trey Cabbage, 3B, Grainger HS (TN)
- 5th round, 140th overall – Alex Robinson, LHP, Maryland (MD)
- 6th round, 170th overall – Christopher Paul, RF, UC Berkley (CA)
- 7th round, 200th overall – Jovani Moran, LHP, Puerto Rico
- 8th round, 230th overall – Kolton Kendrick, 1B, Oak Forest Academy (LA)
- 9th round, 260th overall – LaMonte Wade, CF, Maryland (MD)
- 10th round, 290th overall – Sean Miller, SS, USC Aiken (SC)