The Timberwolves lost more than a game to the Orlando Magic on Friday night; they also lost their team leader and starting point guard Ricky Rubio to a sprained left ankle.
Check out the notes and videos below for more on Rubio's injury. He was diagnosed with a sprained ankle, was on crutches, and will be reevaluated on Saturday.
As for the game, Minnesota lost in overtime, 112-103.
The Wolves led 94-92 with fewer than 45 seconds left in the game, but the Magic found a way to tie the game on a pair of late free throws by Nikola Vucevic. Prior to the game-tying free throws, the Magic forced a Kevin Martin turnover and a 5-on-2 fastbreak resulted in a tremendous block by Mo Williams.
The Wolves had a chance to win with the final possession of regulation, but Kevin Martin's 12-foot shot didn't fall. The Magic dominated overtime, outscoring the Wolves 18-9.
- Andrew Wiggins hit a pair of nice step-back jumpers but finished with only six points on 3-6 shooting.
- Rubio finished with four points and six assists in 13 minutes.
- Gorgui Dieng had a double-double off the bench with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
- Kevin Martin led the Wolves with 21 points.
- The Wolves continue their road trip Saturday with a 6:30 p.m. tip against the Miami Heat.
Timberwolves point guard Ricky Rubio was helped to the locker room after rolling his left ankle deep in the second quarter of tonight's game against the Magic in Orlando, Florida.
On the television replay from Fox Sports North, Rubio's left ankle rolled hard when he stepped on the foot of a Magic player while driving to the hoop. Marney Gellner reports the official diagnosis is a sprained left ankle and he will be reevaluated on Saturday.
Here's a close up look at Rubio's ankle.
Here's another look at the injury.