The Vikings put the zany "trade Adrian Peterson" rumors to rest by letting the NFL's deadline to make trades slide by without making any moves earlier this week. There was never a hard source suggesting the Vikings were interesting in dealing the 2012 MVP, and ex-Vikings running Herschel Walker was glad nothing happened.
"It would be an insult,'' Walker said of trading Peterson, via the Pioneer Press. "Adrian has done so much for the Vikings that, unless he asks for a trade, then that would be insulting. He's played his heart out. He came back from that knee injury. They can build the team back up.''
Walker, of course, was the centerpiece of the "Great Trade Robbery" in which the Vikings sent a ton of assets to the Cowboys for Walker.
"I don't think a trade like that will ever happen again,'' Walker said. "I think (Dallas owner) Jerry Jones was very smart in doing that. It was an incredible deal. But I don't think in today's game it could happen because there were so many players involved and the amount of players now is so important, the way the salary cap is.'
Here are the details of the trade, courtesy of Wikipedia.
Minnesota Vikings received
- RB Herschel Walker
- Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)
- San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)
- Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)
- Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)
Dallas Cowboys received
- LB Jesse Solomon
- LB David Howard
- CB Issiac Holt
- RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)
- DE Alex Stewart
- Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)
- Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
- Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
- Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)
- Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)
- Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)
- Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
- Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)