It's nearly ten years past the fact, but Hall of Fame running back LaDainian Tomlinson almost signed with the Vikings in 2010.
The only reason Tomlinson, who was released by the Chargers after the '09 season, didn't choose to play with Brett Favre and Adrian Peterson is because the Vikings failed to give his wife a gift basket.
"It came down to the Jets and Vikings. In fact, the Vikings were offering more money," Tomlinson said. "Went to Minnesota first and it was hard to get out of the building with the Vikings."
"But at the end of the day, the Jets had a real nice baby basket that they prepared. My wife was pregnant at the time and of course you know the wife makes the decisions. She saw that basket and she was like, ‘Aww we’re going to the Jets. Look, they care about the baby,’ and it was over."
Tomlinson rushed for 914 yards and 6 touchdowns with the Jets in 2010, He barely played in 2011 and retired before the 2012 season.
Had he signed here, the Vikings would've had a boatload of Hall of Fame-caliber players in 2010:
- Brett Favre (elected in 2016)
- Adrian Peterson (future HOF for sure)
- LaDainian Tomlinson (elected in 2017)
- Randy Moss (elected in 2017)
- Steve Hutchinson (almost got in this year)
- Jared Allen (eligible for HOF in 2020)
- Kevin Williams (eligible for HOF in 2020)
- Antoine Winfield (eligible for HOF)
C'est la vie c'est la va. Ain't a damn thing anyone can do about it now.