Metrodome dirt going to site in Blaine

Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0

The once possible home of the Vikings' new stadium is being left in the dust — or at least with it.

The Star Tribune reports Blaine, which was considered as a location for the stadium in 2006, will be getting about 350,000 cubic yards of soil hauled away from the Metrodome site as the new facility is being developed.

The dirt, which is considered "clean fill" by Blaine's Community Development Director Bryan Schafer, will be dumped at a 33-acre site in the city.

The land the fill is being transported to is one of several parcels that Vikings owner Zygi Wilf had contingency deals to buy in 2006, but the plans for the stadium never gained support from the state Legislature, the Star Tribune said.

The site is now owned by Allina Health, which is expected to build on the site in a year.

ABC Newspapers says the hauling of the dirt – which will be done solely between the hours of 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. – will begin in January and must be completed by April 30, 2014.

The publication says the trucks hauling the dirt will be using I-35W, Lexington Avenue and 109th Avenue, and will not be using any city roads or streets in residential areas.

More of the fill will go to several other locations once the Metrodome is demolished, the Star Tribune said.

The Vikings will play their last game at the Metrodome Dec. 29, when they face the Detroit Lions.

Stadium contractor Mortensen Construction is scheduled to cut the power to the stadium Jan. 18 and the dome will begin to deflate immediately.

Zygi and Mark Wilf, Gov. Mark Dayton, Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak, running back Adrian Peterson and others broke ground on the new stadium in a shoveling ceremony earlier this month.

Related

Wilf: Metrodome site would come with $67 million in hidden costs

In a letter to Minneapolis city officials, Vikings team owner Zygi Wilf outlined "three areas of concern" that he says would substantially raise the cost of revamping the Metrodome site for a new stadium. Wilf says TCF Bank Stadium, which would host the team during construction, would require upgrades and limit team revenue, and he says the Dome site would require additional parking.

Gov. Dayton says Metrodome is only suitable site for Vikings stadium

Governor Mark Dayton informed the Minnesota Vikings on Monday that if they want a stadium plan approved this year, it will have to be built on the current Metrodome site. Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf are scheduled to meet with Dayton on Wednesday. Lester Bagley, Vice President of Public Affairs and Stadium Development, says the Wilfs are "extremely frustrated with the situation."

Dayton hopes to convince Wilfs Metrodome site can work for Vikes

Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf will sit down for a summit meeting Wednesday with Gov. Dayton, Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak, and other key players in the stadium discussion. To date, the Wilfs have turned up their nose at the idea of building a new stadium on the site of the Metrodome -- they prefer a roomier spot in Arden Hills. But Dayton and Friends will try to get them to change their thinking.

Dayton chose Metrodome site for stadium over Basilica to avoid lawsuit

WCCO television reporter Pat Kessler was told by Governor Mark Dayton on Tuesday that the Linden Avenue site for a Vikings stadium fell through in part because the Basilica threatened to sue. Dayton will meet with Zygi and Mark Wilf Wednesday morning to discuss building the stadium on the current Metrodome site.

Next Up