Former Apple Valley basketball star Tyus Jones headlines a long list of Minnesotans who will be playing in the NCAA Tournament this week, and possibly beyond. Here's a look at the names you'll want to keep in mind when filling out your bracket.
Tyus Jones, Duke
The former Minnesota Mr. Basketball has started every game for the Duke Blue Devils, who earned one of the top seeds in the tournament. Jones has been so good as a freshman that coach Mike Krzyzewski compared him to Duke greats Bobby Hurley and Jason Williams, according to CBS Sports. He's averaging 11.6 points, 5.8 assists and 3.6 rebounds per game.
- 1) Duke vs. 16) North Florida/Robert Morris
Siyani Chambers, Harvard
Chambers has helped Harvard reach the tourney in all three years as their point guard. The former Hopkins star was called the Crimson's "most important player" by head coach Tommy Amaker, Slam Online notes. He's averaging 9.8 points and 4.3 assists per game.
- 13) Harvard vs. 4) North Carolina
Seth Hinrichs, Lafayette
The 6-foot-8 senior captain from Clara City (MACCRAY High School) is Lafayette's second-leading scorer, averaging 13.1 points per game. Hinrichs is a threat from beyond the arc, too, shooting 39.2 percent.
- 16) Lafayette vs. 1) Villanova
Marvin Singleton, Northern Iowa
The 6-foot-6 senior from Minneapolis (Hopkins High School) is a key reserve for the Panthers (30-3). He's averaging 5 points and 5.1 rebounds on the season.
- 5) Northern Iowa vs. 12) Wyoming
Kyle Washington, N.C. State
Washington, a native of Champlin, is averaging 6.9 points and 4.3 rebounds in his sophomore year with the Wolfpack.
- 8) N.C. State vs. 9) LSU
The former Cretin-Derham Hall standout is averaging 4.1 points and 4.5 rebounds per game as a reserve for the Terriers.
- 12) Wofford vs. 5) Arkansas
Zach Stahl, Northeastern
Another former Hopkins standout having a nice season. The junior guard is averaging 8.3 points and 5.9 rebounds per game after working his way into the starting lineup, according to the Pioneer Press.
- 14) Northeastern vs. 3) Notre Dame
Wheeler Baker, Albany
The freshman from Osseo is averaging 5.6 points per game for the American East champs.
- 14) Albany vs. 3) Oklahoma
Other notable Minnesotans in the tournament include:
- Kevin Noreen, West Virginia (Minnesota Transitions)
- Jonah Travis, Harvard (DeLaSalle)
- Brian Ishola, North Dakota State (Woodbury)
- Zach Checkal, North Dakota State (Delano)
- Jordan Smith, Wisconsin (Orono)
- Riley Dearring, Wisconsin (Minnetonka)
- J.P. Macura, Xavier (Lakeville North)