The matchup for Super Bowl 50 is set, and a few current Vikings headed to Hawaii this Sunday – but some former Vikes are also headed to Santa Clara with the Broncos and Panthers to compete for that Lombardi Trophy.
Among them: Joe Webb, who signed with Carolina in 2014. His last in-game appearance with Minnesota came in that playoff contest against Green Bay in January of 2012. He finished 11-for-30 with 180 yards, a touchdown and an interception. The Vikings lost 24-10.
But he's not the only one – here's a deep dive into the rosters of both contenders to find some familiar faces.
- Jared Allen, Defensive End (Vikings 2008-2013)
- Joe Webb, Quarterback (Vikings 2010-2013)
- Mike Remmers, Offensive Tackle (Vikings claimed off waivers in Nov. 2013 to replace A.J. Jefferson)
- Kurt Coleman, Free Safety (Had a couple cups of coffee at training camp in Mankato, summer of 2014)
- Ryan Harris, Offensive Tackle (Not a Viking, but grew up in Minneapolis and played for Cretin-Derham)
- Fred Pagac, Offensive Line Coordinator (Vikings Linebacker Coach and Defensive Coordinator, 2006-2013)
- Joe Woods, Defensive Backs Coach (Vikings DB Coach, 2006-2013)
- Honorable Mention:Waived on 12/8/15 by Denver-Christian Ponder, Quarterback (Vikings, 2011-2014)
Webb's presence in the Super Bowl conversation and Ponder's conspicuous pre-playoffs dismissal have led to some ribbing from Vikings fans on Twitter, who couldn't resist throwing a few jabs at the quarterbacks, who notably underachieved during their time in Minnesota.