U of M men's basketball coach Richard Pitino hinted again Tuesday that punishments for three suspended players might not be final.
Pitino told reporters Tuesday he will reassess the status of guards Kevin Dorsey, Nate Mason and Dupree McBrayer who were suspended from the team after a sex video appeared on Dorsey's social media accounts.
According to the Associated Press, Pitino plans to talk with his staff and interim athletic director Beth Goetz to decide if any other punishment is necessary.
Pitino did not discuss what any future punishments might include.
"We made the decision that we were going to suspend them for the rest of the season," Pitino told reporters Tuesday. "I'm not going to tell you one thing until we make an evaluation of everything we feel is necessary to reinstate them."
Mason, Dorsey and McBrayer missed the three final regular season games and will sit out the Big Ten Tournament.
Last week, it was learned that Dorsey's phone was stolen while at the Mall of America on Feb. 25 – the day before the explicit video was briefly posted on his Twitter and Instagram accounts.
All three will travel with the team to Indianapolis. The tournament opens Wednesday when the 13th-seeded Gophers face 12 seed Illinois.
The Star Tribune notes the decision to bring the three guards along has as much to do with keeping them up to date academically – since an academic advisor travels with the team.