As the NFL Draft draws nearer and Vikings officials continue to pore over lists of names, countless hours of game film, endless phone calls and a never-ending pile of interview requests it seems like a good day to take a look back at some of the team's best draft picks.
Vikings.com has put together a list of the best draft picks in team history. Writer Mike Wobschall says, "Keep in mind, this is not a list of five best players who were drafted by the Vikings."
He adds the list takes into account not only how good the player was for the franchise, but where that player was drafted and the influence the player has/had on the League and the franchise.
- RB Adrian Peterson (1st round, 2007)
- QB Fran Tarkenton (3rd round, 1961)
- DT Alan Page (1st round, 1967)
- WR Randy Moss (1st round, 1998)
- LB Scott Studwell (9th round, 1977)
Whether he is the best of all-time for the Vikings can be argued, but virtually everyone will agree that Peterson is certainly the best pick by the team in the last 10 years. Peterson rushed for 1,341 yards and broke the NFL's single-game rushing record a 296-yard game against the Chargers during his rookie season in 2007.
He was also named the NFL's MVP after the 2012 season when he rushed for more than 2,000 yards. He has authored six of the franchise's top seven rushing seasons.
– Guard Randall McDaniel (1st round, 1988), who is arguably the best guard in NFL history. McDaniel started a string of 12 consecutive Pro Bowls.
– Tackle Ron Yary (1st round, 1968) was the first offensive lineman in NFL history selected first overall.
– Cornerback Bobby Bryant (7th round, 1967) led the team in interceptions four times.
Even in the last 10 years, the Vikings have had plenty of hits and misses in the draft. The Bleacher Report outlined the best and worst draft picks of the last decade for the Vikings.
While Peterson tops the list, quarterback Christian Ponder finds himself at nearly the opposite end of the spectrum. He was picked as the second worst draft pick by the Vikings in the last decade. Only Troy Williamson, the team's first round selection in 2005, was worse.
The NFL Draft begins on May 8.