Prosecutors: 'Insufficent evidence' for charges against Gophers FB players - Bring Me The News

Prosecutors: 'Insufficent evidence' for charges against Gophers FB players

The Hennepin County Attorney's Office says there is insufficient evidence to file sexual assault charges against members of the Minnesota Gophers football team.
Author:
Publish date:
Image placeholder title

The Hennepin County Attorney's Office announced that they will not pursue charges against suspended Minnesota Gophers football players over an alleged off-campus sexual assault last month.

The Hennepin County Attorney's office issued a statement announcing the decision Monday:

"Based on the evidence available, the county attorney's office is declining to file charges. There is insufficient, admissible evidence for prosecutors to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that either force was used or that the victim was physically helpless as defined by law in the sexual encounter."

The Minneapolis Police Department had been investigating the players in connection with the Sept. 2 incident. KSTP notes that none of the players were arrested, but they were all suspended by coach Tracy Claeys for a violation of team rules.

The Hennepin County Attorney's office said it will not have any additional comment about the incident. University of Minnesota officials have not commented on the status of the suspended players.

Next Up

Related