San Diego finally signs rookie first-round pick Joey Bosa

Author:
Updated:
Original:

The San Diego Chargers finally were able to come to an agreement with their first-round draft pick Joey Bosa, ending the longest rookie holdout in the NFL in years.

After a much publicized contract dispute that drew national headlines and caused the Chargers rookie to miss all of training camp, the team announced it's signed the defensive end to a four-year contract.

Bosa's signing ends the longest rookie contract dispute since the new CBA went into effect in 2011.

The Chargers selected Bosa out of Ohio State with the No. 3 overall pick in this year's NFL Draft. The 21-year-old totaled more than 150 tackles, 50.5 tackles for loss, 26 sacks and 24 quarterback hurries in 41 games over three seasons with the Buckeyes.

According to Pro Football Talk, a league source says the team was willing to add language to the contract that makes it easier for Bosa to earn $6.5 million in guaranteed training camp roster bonuses.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/770334666234658816

The Chargers also agreed to change the payout schedule of his signing bonus. With the changes Bosa will get a greater percentage of his bonus payout this year than the last four No. 1 overall picks did.

"We look forward to having Joey join us and getting him prepared as quickly as possible for the 2016 season," said Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco.

Bosa's holdout made national headlines last week when the Chargers told his agents they were rescinding their offer to him. Bosa did not play on Sunday against the Vikings.

Next Up

protest, Daunte Wright

LIVE UPDATES: Protesters, police clash in Brooklyn Center

Tracking Monday night's clashing between law enforcement and demonstrators.

Tim Gannon

Brooklyn Center recommends firing police chief and officer who shot Daunte Wright

The new acting city manager will make the decision on Tuesday.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 8.54.21 PM

Cop who fatally shot Daunte Wright identified as Kim Potter

She is a 26-year veteran on the police force.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 6.36.53 PM

Chauvin trial: Cardiologist among witnesses as prosecution draws to close

Judge Peter Cahill also rejected the defense's motion to sequester the jury on Monday following a fatal police shooting in Brooklyn Center.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 8.27.03 AM

Medical examiner: Wright died of gunshot wound to the chest

The 20-year-old was killed by a police officer on Sunday, April 11.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 5.44.29 PM

Brooklyn Center fires city manager following Daunte Wright killing

The mayor has taken swift action after being granted extra powers by the city council on Monday.

Brooklyn Center unrest

National Guard presence in Twin Cities to double; 25-30 arrested on Sunday

Gov. Tim Walz said it's 'devastating and heartbreaking that we're here once again' following the killing of Daunte Wright.

Tim Gannon

Brooklyn Center police chief: 'Once we got pelted, we responded in kind'

The police presence will be enhanced Monday and beyond.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.05.47 PM

Chief: Officer who killed Daunte Wright meant to use Taser, pulled gun by mistake

Chief Tim Gannon provided the update as Brooklyn Center PD released bodycam footage of Daunte Wright's death.

Related