Adrian Peterson and the Minnesota Vikings have been in contact since a federal judge's ruling last week re-opened lines of communication that were blocked by the NFL.
Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman, while attending the Minnesota Gophers Pro Day at the University of Minnesota on Monday, told reporters that team officials have had "open dialogue" with Peterson.
“We are able to have communication now with Adrian,’’ Spielman said, according to the Pioneer Press. “We’ll keep all those communications internal. I don’t want to sit here and give you guys a blow-by-blow every day. I think it’s been very clearly stated that we want Adrian Peterson back. There’s no question about the talent and he’s a unique talent and he’s under contract with us.’’
Spielman said he doesn't anticipate offering details of any future conversations, either.
The Star Tribune points out that the team was only able to contact Peterson through a legal team while the running back was suspended.
The former MVP, who recently said he feels "uneasy" about returning to Minnesota, raised eyebrows when he failed to mention the Vikings in a statement following the judge's ruling last week.
Peterson remains on a special exempt list and only NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell can reinstate him. While that could happen in the near future, the Vikings are going about business as usual – from a communicative standpoint – again with Peterson.
Peterson is due to make $12.75 million next season and the Vikings have control of his contract through 2017.
Minnesota has three options with Peterson:
- Trade him
- Cut him
- Keep him
NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal writes that if Peterson is cut by the Vikings, no team will outbid the Dallas Cowboys for his services. But then again, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Cowboys are still focused on potential free agent DeMarco Murray.