October 17 was the last time the Eden Prairie Eagles lost a football game.
That's Oct. 17 of 2012.
The Minnesota prep football powerhouse has rattled off a cool 40 wins in a row and they're the favorite to win a fifth straight big school state championship again this year.
Eden Prairie begins its State Tournament trek Friday night in a quarterfinal fight against a similar breed, the Totino-Grace Golden Eagles, who lost to Eden Prairie in last year's Class 6A Prep Bowl. The two also met in the season opener this year.
Osseo defeated Lakeville North and East Ridge clipped Wayzata on a last-second field goal to advance to the state semifinals. East Ridge will play the winner of the Maple Grove/Burnsville game (Friday, 7 p.m.) while Osseo awaits the winner of the Eden Prairie/Totino-Grace game.
- Friday – St. Thomas Academy vs. North St. Paul
- Saturday – Andover vs. Moorhead
- Saturday – Rochester John Marshall vs. Mankato West
- Saturday – Spring Lake Park vs. St. Michael-Albertville
Mankato West is back to defend its Prep Bowl title, but for the first time in a long time the Scarlets struggled with an offensive identity. According to the Mankato Free Press, West's problems are now solved thanks to a change at quarterback.
- Friday – South St. Paul vs. Fridley
- Friday – Hermantown vs. Rocori
- Friday – Stewartville vs. Marshall
- Saturday – Becker vs. Benilde-St. Margaret's
Becker (10-0) starts its state tourney journey to repeat as a champs, but they'll have to slow down perhaps the state's best running back in Benilde's Ricky Floyd. The St. Cloud Times has more.
- Saturday – Jackson County Central vs. St. Croix Lutheran
- Saturday – Proctor vs. Dilworth-Glydon-Felton
- Saturday – Belle Plaine vs. Tri-City United
- Saturday – Pierz vs. Albany
Of the 30-plus football teams in Northeastern Minnesota, none have won a state title above Class 1A since 1997, the Duluth News Tribune reports. Proctor, Moose Lake-Willow River, Silver Bay, Ely and Hermantown have a chance to change that this year.
- Friday – Pipestone vs. Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted
- Saturday – Moose Lake/Willow River vs. United North Central
- Friday – Caledonia vs. Blue Earth Area
- Friday – Minnewaska Area vs. Ottertail Central
Ottertail Central head coach Don Seipkes has been coaching at the school since 1971, and he's retiring after the season. The Fergus Falls Journal has more on Seipkes' chances of going out on top.
- Friday – Goodhue vs. Bethlehem Academy
- Saturday – Tracy-Milroy-Balaton vs. Minneapolis North
- Saturday – Braham vs. Mahnomen
- Saturday – Minneota vs. Browerville
Minneapolis North comes in as one of the favorites led by Gophers recruit, senior quarterback Tyler Johnson. North made it to the state semifinals last year. MSR News has more.
- Friday – Madelia vs. Underwood
- Friday – Ely vs. Stephen-Argyle Central
- Saturday – Grand Meadow vs. Cleveland/Immanuel Lutheran
- Saturday – Silver Bay vs. Waubun
Per the Mankato Free Press, Madelia is 12 yards shy of having three players rush for 1,000 yards this season.