Pro Football Focus put out a ranking of the 101 best NFL players in 2015 – and four Vikings were in the top 50.
The criteria for the list was based solely on their play in 2015 (so nothing that happened in previous years, or what they could do in future years). Here are the Vikings on PFF's list, from lowest rated to highest:
No. 48 – Linval Joseph
- PFF says if Joseph didn't battle injures (he appeared in 12 games in 2015) he would have been even higher.
- Joseph earned the third-highest overall PFF grade (94.4) among interior defenders. Only Aaron Donald and J.J. Watt had better grades.
No. 40 – Joe Berger
- Berger, traditionally a guard, filled in for injured Pro Bowl center John Sullivan in 2015.
- He was also given the PFF award for best run blocker in the NFL in January.
No. 22 – Harrison Smith
- PFF says: "Smith has become arguably the NFL’s best safety."
- He was the only safety to finish 2015 as a top 10 player in PFF's coverage grade, pass-rush grade, and run-defense grade.
No. 20 – Anthony Barr
- Barr finished the season with a PFF grade of 93.4, trailing only Luke Kuechly among all linebackers.
- PFF says his week 4 game against the (eventual Super Bowl champion) Denver Broncos was his best performance.
Joseph, Berger and Barr were not even ranked in the same PFF poll that was done a year ago, by the way.