Hey everyone, it's FM 100.3 KFAN's Tiny Joe Nelson. The prep football slate of games for semifinal Saturday is awesome. There are so many great games -- too many to discuss them all -- but I'll do my best to preview my favorite match-ups.
(1) Lakeville North vs. (5) Lakeville South - 7:00 p.m.
This could have been a section final, but South received the five seed, and head coach Larry Thompson wasn't happy about it.
(2) Mounds View vs. (3) Stillwater - 7:00 p.m.
The Ponies have ended their season to the Mustangs three straight years.
(2) Osseo vs. (6) Maple Grove - 1:00 p.m.
They met earlier this year and Osseo won 13-2. Maple Grove is fresh off an upset win over St. Michael-Albertville.
(2) St. Francis vs. (3) Blaine - 1:00 p.m.
Interesting fact is that this group of St. Francis seniors won a few youth football titles in Blaine because St. Francis didn't have football.
(2) Hutchinson vs. (3) Marshall - 3:00 p.m.
I did some recon on this game between undefeated teams. My sources tell me Marshall is the real deal. So is Hutch. This will be fantastic.
(2) Holy Angels vs. (3) South St. Paul - 7:00 p.m.
Each of these teams could have been a No. 1 seed in almost any other section, but not in section 3 with St. Thomas Academy at the top.
Now take a look at some great games in the lower classes.
(2) Fairmont vs. (3) Montevideo - 3:00 p.m.
(6) Albany vs. (7) Annandale - 7:00 p.m.
(2) Jackson County Central vs. (3) Luverne - 3:00 p.m.
(2) Eden Valley-Watkins vs. (3) Paynesville - 3:00 p.m.
(1) Blooming Prairie vs. (4) Goodhue - 7:00 p.m.
(2) Minneota/Lincoln Hi vs. (3) MACCRAY - 3:00 p.m.