If the playoffs started today the Vikings (9-5) would be the sixth seed and would play a Wild Card game at Lambeau Field against the Packers (10-4). Green Bay clinched a playoff spot with a win over Oakland.
If Minnesota beats the Giants this week and the Packers in Week 17, the Vikings will win the NFC North.
The Vikings can clinch a playoff berth this week one of three ways, according to ESPN.
- By beating the Giants
- Seattle winning at home against the Rams
- Atlanta losing at home to the undefeated Panthers
The only way the Vikings can win the division is if they stay within in one game of the Packers entering their Week 17 matchup at Green Bay, and then beat the Packers in that game.
Here's what needs to happen for the Vikings to end up with the following seeds.
- 3-seed: win out against the Giants and Packers or lose to the Giants, have Green Bay lose to Arizona and then beat the Packers in Week 17
- 5-seed: beat the Giants, lose to the Packers and have Seattle lose to the Rams and Cardinals
- 6-seed: beat the Giants or Seattle defeats the Rams or Atlanta loses to the Panthers
First-round playoff matchup possibilities for the Vikings based on which seed they wind up with:
- 3-seed: vs. Green Bay or Seattle
- 5-seed: at Washington, Philadelphia or New York
- 6-seed: at Green Bay