floods - Bring Me The News

floods

State park in Duluth set to reopen 4 months after flood damage

A popular state park in Duluth that was closed for four months after devastating floods swept through Northeastern Minnesota is set to reopen Monday. Restrictions will remain in place at Jay Cooke State Park, however, since repairs have yet to be completed after the floods washed away roads, trails and bridges.

SBA approves Dayton's request for NE Minnesota disaster declaration

Gov. Mark Dayton's request for a disaster declaration in Carlton, Pine and St. Louis counties, as well as the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, following June's floods, was granted Friday by the Small Business Administration. With the approval, affected homeowners, renters, businesses and not-for-profit organizations can apply for low-interest loans up to $200,000.

FEMA says no to Dayton's appeal for individual flood assistance

The Federal Emergency Management Agency denied an appeal Friday from Gov. Mark Dayton for aid for individuals and businesses affected by floods in northeastern Minnesota in June. Dayton said he was "disappointed" by FEMA's ruling and that he'll ask the state legislature for an estimated $7.4 million in assistance in an upcoming special session.

Dayton will appeal FEMA decision rejecting individual flood aid

Governor Dayton ordered state officials to begin preparing an appeal after learning that FEMA has denied federal aid to individual victims of last month's flooding. The agency is providing money for 13 counties to rebuild roads and make other repairs. But money for individual homeowners and businesses was denied.

FEMA flood damage assessments in NE Minn. not done yet

The Federal Emergency Management Agency says it will continue assessing damage to private property stemming from the floods in northeast Minnesota last month, and will be here for as long needed. State and federal officials have been in Carlton, St. Louis, Aitkin and Pine counties, as well as on the Fond du Lac Reservation, looking at the damage.

Dayton and lawmakers agree to late August special session

Gov. Mark Dayton and legislative leaders have agreed that a special session will be confined to providing disaster aid to flood-damaged areas of Minnesota. They also agreed on a late August timeframe. But the session won't happen until after the federal government reveals how much aid it will provide.

Feds approve disaster aid for NE Minnesota flood damage

The disaster declaration for 13 Minnesota counties and three tribal nations devastated by flooding in northeastern Minnesota last month was approved Friday by the federal government. The $108 million in aid only covers damage to public infrastructure.

Concerns raised after communications outage during NE Minn. floods

A CenturyLink fiber-optic line break during last month's flooding that resulted in the loss of 911 emergency, landline, cell phone and Internet services has residents in the region concerned and frustrated. The Lake County News Chronicle reports that much of the county and the North Shore went without communications service for 13 hours after the break.

Superior, Wis., mayor says city likely won't qualify for disaster aid

Despite suffering damage in the same floods that devastated Duluth and northeastern Minnesota last month, Superior, Wis., most likely won't meet requirements for federal disaster aid, the city's mayor said Wednesday. The damage the city sustained appears to be far below the Federal Emergency Management Agency's threshold numbers.

Flood of trash replaces flood waters in NE Minnesota

Now that the waters have abated in northeastern Minnesota following last week's storms, area residents are dealing with a flood of trash. The Western Lake Superior Sanitary District's Materials Recovery Center in Duluth is one of the destinations for the trash, which is coming in from a 530 square mile area covering St. Louis and Carlton counties.

Dayton to request $108M in disaster aid for NE Minnesota floods

Gov. Mark Dayton announced in Duluth Friday that he will ask President Barack Obama for a $108 million disaster declaration stemming from last week's floods in northeastern Minnesota. The money will be used to repair damages sustained by public infrastructure in the 13 counties and three tribal areas affected by the flooding.